Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

     Today is the first time we've gotten rain in Houston in I don't know how long.  You'd think I would be happy to finally get a reprieve from the hot summer weather (it was only 70 this morning!) and some nice rain for my dying flowers, but the grey clounds and slow rain have made me quite the Grouchy Ladybug today.  So I decided to write about something that makes me happy: makeup!

     I love makeup.  I love the way it looks.  I love buying it.  I love opening all the pretty little boxes that it comes in.  I love running out of my favorite products, just so I can experience that new makeup feeling all over again.  My grandmother used to take my cousins and me to the downtown Neimans in Dallas at Christmastime.  We would get makeovers and then she would buy us whatever we thought we "needed".  I loved choosing the new makeup, and I especially enjoyed the special time with my grandmother and three cousins.
     However, as I began to realize that makeup products are among the most toxic we put on our bodies, I began to develop a different perspective of that makeup I once loved.  Don't get me wrong, I still love getting new makeup and finding new colors, but I've become much more selective of the products I choose.  Mascara for one, is a highly toxic product, and yet we apply it on the very hairs that are supposed to be protecting our eyes!  EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database is a great resource for finding out just how toxic makeup is.
     As always, there has been a silver lining to my black cloud of realization that makeup is harmful.  I have found some cosmetics that are chemical-free and still hold up as well, if not better than the expensive brands I used to buy at Neimans.  I was worried that I would be paying more for chemical-free or mineral-based makeup, but the truth is that it is actually less expensive.  My first step towards healthy makeup was mascara because that was the most toxic product I was using.  Three Branches Health suggests ZuZu brand mascara which can be found at Whole Foods.  While the brush isn't exactly the best, the mascara does work well.  Plus, my eyes no longer get red and irritated when I apply mascara (direct evidence that the mascara I was using before was not good for my body). 
     The next step was finding the rest of my eye makeup products in an affordable, healthy version.  Thanks to One Green Street, one of my favorite spots for clean products, and Sari Motley, a fabulous Houston makeup artist who uses only the best chemical-free makeup, I was able to still enjoy the experience of buying and using makeup, but this time it was healthy!  Sari Motley's website offers so many great products that are clean as well as beautiful.  I now have restocked my beauty arsenal and am loving the results.  How well does your makeup rate?

No comments:

Post a Comment